Crantock, Newquay, TR8 5RB
Tel: (01637) 830243
The Old Albion Inn is approximately 400 years old. As the Albion Inn, it was closed in 1874. In 1902, part of the building was destroyed by fire and in 1946. its license renewed, it began trading again as the Old Albion Inn.
An entrance to a smugglers hole which passes under the village and now blocked in for safety's sake, may be found under the blue stone fireplace in the lounge, originally the kitchen. Both main fireplaces have an original pasty oven, and until a few years ago the house drew its water from a deep well under the old bar.
The name Albion derives from a ship probably in this case a schooner built in the Gannel shipyard a mile or so away, in the days when Crantock was a prosperous sea port.
The Old Albion Inn retains the character and ambiance of the village pub, steeped in history and nestles in the heart of Crantock.
We are sure that you will enjoy its fine food, real ales and hospitality Accommodation and a small function room are also believed to be available.
Crantock Beach Crantock Village The History of Crantock Cornish Pubs