Broomhill Cottage, Torpoint, PL11 2QA
Tel: (01752) 814210
Garden in the woods
An established woodland garden with natural woods bordering the River Lynher. Designed as one of natural beauty and of scientific interest with over 300 types of Camellias, Magnolias, Rhododendrons and other flowering trees.
Antony Woodland Garden is divided into two areas covering sixty acres. The first area is called The Wilderness, a wooded area leading down to the banks of the tidal River Lynher. West Down Wood is the second area of the Woodland Garden and should not be missed. It is in a narrow wooded valley that was made into a woodland garden starting in about 1947. A little was done each year. The planting consists mainly of glossy evergreen camellias of considerable variety with amazing Asiatic magnolias emerging from that green under-storey, like terrific torches. These two main areas are joined together by the Garden Field – a mixture of ornamental trees under planted with flowering shrubs and daffodils and a path through betulas completes the link along the rivers edge.
The Woodland Garden was originally part of the Antony House estate, near Torpoint, but is now managed separately by the Carew Pole Charitable Trust. The salt water pond is the earliest recorded feature in this garden; an enclosed inlet designed in the 16th century to harbour various types of fish and formerly described as the Fishful Pond. This lies through the woodland to the east of the car park.
To the west, close to Jupiter Point, is a slightly more formal area, based on the late 18th century layout. There are many attractive older shrubs in this area. Several lily ponds lead towards the 18th century bath house. On the edge of the gardens at Jupiter Point, there is a memorial stone commemorating Sir John and Lady Carew Pole, who were largely responsible for the gardens to be seen today.
One mile west of Torpoint on the A374.
April - October
Antony House Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Torpoint