Moorland village complete with a green
Blisland Parish Council
The village lies on the western edge of Bodmin Moor about three miles north-east of the town of Bodmin and just north of he A30. It is a hilly area with numerous isolated farms and small unfenced moorland roads. It is primarily farmland and cattle and sheep are grazed on the moorland. The population of the village was 608 at the 2011 census.
At the heart of Blisland is the village green, which is rare in a Cornish village. Adjacent to the green is Blisland's best known landmark, its parish church. Dedicated to St. Protus and St. Hyacinth it is of Norman and medieval origin and contains a superbly decorated Rood Screen - indeed Sir John Betjeman was said to have found the church "dazzling and amazing".
Also surrounding the green amongst the Georgian and Victorian houses are the Manor house, the village store and the pub "The Blisland Inn" - known locally for its fine selection of real ales.
Away from the village the parish encompasses a broad range of farmland which ranges from lush dairy farms right up to the moorland holdings. A stone monument on the green is the "Queens Stone", erected in June 2001 to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubilee. Also to be seen is "Jubilee Rock", a very large natural stone embellished by John Rogers for 1810 to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of George III. The Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897 has seen more added to the top. This magnificent stone can be found to the left of the road to St. Breward. Once on the moors the parish contains the Striple Stones and the Trippet Stones (Neolithic stone circles) and two very pretty stone bridges Delphi and Bradford which both cross the De Lank river - a tributary of the River Camel which runs down from Brown Willy.
The Blisland Inn
Bolventor Bodmin Moor Altarnun Bodmin Cardinham St. Breward
St. Tudy St. Mabyn The Copper Trail Temple Wenford Bridge Pottery