Bosvigo House and Garden

Bosvigo House and Garden

Bosvigo Lane, Truro, TR1 3NH
Tel: (01872) 275774
Email: info@bosvigo.com
Web: www.bosvigo.com

Beautiful gardens with rare and unusual plants
and a small, specialist nursery.

Series of enclosed and walled gardens on three acre site surrounding a Georgian House (not open) and Victorian conservatory. The Walled Garden is a recent addition, created with stone salvaged when a wing of the house was demolished in 1979. Created by the Artist owner Wendy Perry with dazzling displays of vivid colour and plant harmonies from February to October. Spring bulbs and Hellebores, summer herbaceous borders, autumn finale of 'firework' colours. Mostly planted with herbaceous material for colour and foliage effect. Attached to the main house is a smaller secondary property, Bosvigo Vean, which is Cornish for “Little Bosvigo House”. We just call it 'The Vean'. Its small front garden is divided by cross paths and the four beds are planted almost identically in white, blue and gold. Shaped cones of golden privet stand sentinel in each bed. A plantsman's garden best in summer. Woodland walk. Many rare plants. Partly suitable for wheelchairs.

The name Bosvigo House means the House of Vigo and there has been a dwelling on the site since the twelfth century or before, nothing remains of any house of that early date. The kitchen at the back of the house was the early core of a small medieval farmhouse, originally one storey high and probably with a thatched roof. The two wings were built on around 1780 and they have been extended backwards later. The house was extensively re-modelled by the Victorians who added a huge wing and the Conservatory, inserted a new staircase and landing and made a grand Salon upstairs in the West wing. Since the house was acquired two ugly porches at the back have been removed, extensive restoration inside the house has been carried out and the large wing has been demolished restoring balance to the front façade. The house now resembles the earliest photograph, which is thought to be in 1860.

Location

The gardens are three quarters of a mile west of Truro City Centre. At Highertown on the A390, turn down Dobbs Lane and drive 500 yards, Bosvigo is on the left after a nasty left hand bend.

Opening Times

11.00am - 6.00pm, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays
March to end September

Admission Charged

Penrose Water Gardens       Truro       Cornwall's Garden Centres