Old village once the centre of mining
Chacewater Parish Council
Chacewater is situated approximately three miles east of Redruth on the A390. The hamlets of Carnhot, Cox Hill, Creegbrawse, Hale Mills, Jolly's Bottom, Salem, Saveock, Scorrier, Todpool, Twelveheads and Wheal Busy are in the parish. The village sits in a valley between hills separating it from Threemilestone, Scorrier and St. Day close to Wheal Busy and the Poldice Valley and the Coast to Coast cycle route. The population of the village was 1,580 at the 2011 census.
The village has three pubs and a club, the Chacewater Literary Institute. There are also a health centre, a primary school, a village hall and small selection of shops.
Chacewater railway station was opened by the West Cornwall Railway on 25th August 1852 but has long since closed. On 6th July 1903 a branch line to Perranporth was opened from nearby Blackwater; it was extended to Newquay on 2nd January 1905, and the whole branch line closed on the 4th February 1963.
There are two Nursery Gardens in Chacewater; Sunny Corner Nurseries and Roseland House Nursery.
Twelveheads Press, an independent publishing company, is based in Chacewater. It is best known for the Cornish Heritage series but also publishes transport and mining books.
The Anglican church is dedicated to St. Paul; it was built in 1828 and rebuilt (apart from the tower) in 1892 by Edmund H. Sedding. The stonework is partly of granite and partly of Polyphant stone: the interior is lofty and the walls un-plastered. The Methodist Chapel is closed, pending repairs.
Jonathan Hornblower (1753-1815) the steam pioneer was born in Chacewater.
Matthew Paul Moyle (1788–1880) the meteorologist and geologist was born here.
Andrew Ketcham Barnett (1852–1914) Mayor of Penzance and president of the Royal Geological Society of Cornwall was also born in the village.
Chacewater Vintage Rally - mid May.
The Britannia Hotel
The Kings Head
The Rambling Miner - closed 2012
Redruth Truro St. Agnes St. Day Scorrier House Burncoose Garden & Nursery