Chyverton, Zelah, Truro, TR4 9HD
Tel: (01872) 540261
This is a large landscape garden of around 140 acres, with lake, a bridge and statues. A valley garden holds a magnificent collection of trees, shrubs and over 100 magnolias. This is an exceptionally beautiful woodland garden at all times of year, featuring a magnificent collection of magnolias, and many rhododendrons, camellias and ferns. The house dates from the 1730's with a copper beech from the same date close by. The landscaper of Chyverton was John Thomas. The trees were added from 1830-1850. The present shrub garden was started in 1930 and continued by his son Nigel from 1959.
In the medieval period Chyverton was the property of the Arundell family, and subsequently passed to a tenant, John Rosogan. In 1724 it was purchased by John Andrew of Trevallance. Chyverton was inherited by his great-grandson, John Thomas, a lawyer from Truro who served as Vice-Warden of the Stannaries for 34 years. In the 1760's Thomas remodelled the existing house, and moved his business activities from Truro to Chyverton. Some 10 years later a park and an eye-catcher folly were created to complement the remodelled house. In the early 19th century the property passed by marriage to the Peter family. John Thomas Henry Peter (1810-1873) married the daughter of John Penberthy Magor of Penventon, who in 1849 inherited Lamellan. Chyverton remained in the Peter family until 1924 when it was sold to Trevor Holman, who planted an extensive collection of rhododendrons and magnolias with the advice of Sir Harold Hillier (1905-1985). After the Second World War Holman concentrated on extending his collection of magnolias, work continued by his son and daughter-in-law who succeeded to the property in 1959. Today Chyverton remains in divided private ownership and part of the estate is run as an equestrian centre.
About 4 miles north of Truro, close to the A30.
Callestick Farm Burncoose Garden & Nursery Truro Perranporth Roseland House, Garden & Nursery
Cornwall's Garden Centres Penrose Water Gardens