Three miles of golden sands
Gwithian is a coastal village on the B3301, three miles north-east of Hayle and four miles east of St. Ives.
The village has a pub, the Red River Inn, which was formerly named the Pendarves Arms. The pub takes its name from the nearby Red River which, in turn, got its name from the discolouration caused by mining effluent.
Gwithian Towans cover the site of a Bronze Age farm which has been excavated although no remains are visible. The church and relics of St. Gwithian or Gocianus, built in 490, were uncovered from the beach and dunes during the early part of the 19th century, but were then allowed to be reclaimed by the shifting sands.
From Anglo-Saxon times there was a manor here called Connerton which was the paramount manor of the Hundred of Penwith.
Chesten Marchant, who died in 1676 at Gwithian, is believed to have been the last monoglot Cornish Language speaker (as opposed to Dolly Pentreath of Paul who could speak English as well)
A short distance to the east of the village is Gwithian Towans, which is an area of coastal dune land that forms part of The Towans. Gwithian Beach stretches three miles from the Hayle River mouth to the Red River mouth at Godrevy. The beach is popular throughout the year with surfers, windsurfers, and other beachsport enthusiasts. Gwithian beach is patrolled by RNLI lifeguards from Easter to September and surfing equipment can be purchased or hired from the nearby surf shop.
Much of the headland area from Gwithian Beach past Gwithian Point and Navax Point to Hells Mouth is owned by The National Trust.
Christmas Day Swim - December
On the headland and next to the car park is Godrevy Beach Cafe
Near the road is the Rockpool Cafe
Just along the coast at Hells Mouth is Hells Mouth Cafe
Amongst the sand dunes is The Jam Pot.
The Red River Inn
Godrevy Lighthouse The Coastal Footpath Cornwall's Beaches