Coinagehall Street, Helston,
A castle that has now almost disappeared
Helston Castle, a 13th century building, now virtually disappeared, was built by Edmund, Earl of Cornwall in about 1280. It may have originally been a fortified manor house.
Helston Castle was recorded as being in ruins by William of Worcester in 1478, although traces of the castle could still be seen.
Traces of the castle were also seen by Leland, who journeyed through England between 1538 and 1545. Leland had been commissioned by Henry VIII to complete a survey towns and cities. Helston Castle was so ruined at this time that no details could be extracted of its original shape or size.
The site of Helston Castle are now the town's bowling green. Helston Bowling Green appears to date from 1760.
The castle may have been more a defensive structure than a manorial one since the traditional site commands the valley, the river approach and the river crossing.
The original entrance to Helston Castle is believed to have been where the memorial archway at the bottom of Coinagehall Street, dedicated to Humphrey Millett Grylls in 1834, was erected.
Cornish Castles Helston Museum Helston