Bodmin, PL30 5AD
Tel: (01208) 265950
Magnificent Victorian country house
Lanhydrock is one of Cornwall's grandest houses set in a glorious landscape of gardens, parkland and woods overlooking the valley of the River Fowey.
The house, owned by the Robartes family since 1620, dates back to the 17th century but much of it had to be re-built after a disastrous fire in 1881 destroyed all but the entrance porch and the north wing, which includes the magnificent Long Gallery with its extraordinary plaster ceiling depicting scenes from the Old Testament. The second Lord Robartes (later the 6th Viscount Clifden) re-built the house to meet the needs of his large family, appointing local architect Richard Coad to design and supervise most of the work.
A total of forty-nine rooms are on show today and together they reflect the entire spectrum of life in a rich and splendid Victorian household, from the many servants' bedrooms and the fascinating complex of kitchens, sculleries and larders to the nursery suite where the Agar-Robartes children lived, learned and played and the grandeur of the dining-room with its table laid and ready. At the back of the house is the church of St. Hydrock with its 15th century tower. You will want to allow plenty of time just for the tour of the house.
Surrounding the house on all sides are gardens ranging from formal Victorian parterres to the wooded higher garden where magnificent displays of magnolias, rhododendrons and camellias climb the hillside to merge with the oak and beech woods all round. A famous avenue of ancient beech and sycamore trees, the original entrance drive to the house, runs from the pinnacled 17th century gatehouse down towards the medieval bridge across the River Fowey at Respryn.
Although the collection of trees was started as early as 1634, the bones of this superb thirty acre garden, in a dramatic woodland and parkland setting, were put in place in 1857 by the first Baron Robartes. The architect of his choice was George Gilbert Scott, who had been brought in to restore and extend the 17th century house and to redesign the garden. The formal gardens remain largely as he conceived them.
In 1640, John, 2nd Lord Robartes, the leader of the Cornish Group of Parliamentarians became Lord-Lieutenant of Cornwall. On the outbreak of the Civil War he immediately declared his loyalties to the Parliamentarians and set about the garrisoning of Lanhydrock. In the summer of 1644 the Royalists, under the command of Sir Richard Grenville, took control of the estate. John, 2nd Lord Robartes escaped by sea to Plymouth.
Lanhydrock House and its estate remained in the Robartes family until 1953 when it was given to the National Trust by the 7th Viscount Clifden.
The park and woods, with a network of footpaths running through them, provide a variety of walks and a leaflet is available to help you make the most of the estate which extends to nearly 1,000 acres.
During the winter of 2014/15 at Lanhydrock we discovered a book in our collection that once belonged to Henry VIII. It was used to help him annul his marriage to Catherine of Aragon so he could marry Anne Boleyn and is on display in the gallery now.
The Lanhydrock Hotel & Golf Club is located nearby in rolling countryside. The family owned hotel has forty five rooms including two superior suites, a newly decorated Nineteen Bar and Bistro, and conference facilities for all types of functions and events. Leisure facilities include a state of the art Fitness Suite, an eighteen hole golf course, ten bay driving range with teaching studio, full golf shop, putting green and golf buggies. All situated only a few minutes from the A30 with excellent road links to explore Cornwall.
Lanhydrock Cycle Trails
Lanhydrock Cycle Hub is an exciting new mountain bike centre that opened for business on the 15th February 2014. There are 6.5 miles of green and blue graded MTB trails, a skills area, a balance track, a cafe, car park and bike hire.
Alongside the house is the largely 15th century parish church of St. Hydroc. The times of services are shown on the porch notice board and visitors are always welcome. The church is generally open during house opening times.
The National Trust shop is at the end of the house visitor route and sells a wide range of goods including many locally produced items. Plants grown in the Lanhydrock nurseries are on sale in the main car park.
A regular programme of events is held throughout the season and up to Christmas, including horse trials, craft fairs and open-air concerts and theatre. For details, contact the Property Manager.
Three wheelchairs are available; two for indoor use only, the third for use in the garden. A self-drive powered vehicle may be pre-booked with the property Manager. The ground and first floor of the house are accessible, as are the level parts of the garden, and there are adapted lavatories near the house and in the main car park. picnic area includes tables to accommodate wheelchairs. Braille guides are available to the house and garden. Car parking for disabled drivers available near the house.
Lanhydrock offers a variety of excellent catering facilities, located in the old servants' quarters and the old stable block, with three different menus and prices to suit all pockets.
Approx two miles south of Bodmin, sign-posted from the A30, the A38 Bodmin to Liskeard road, and B3268 off A390 at Lostwithiel.
1st April - 31st October daily except Monday when the house is closed,
Bodmin Lostwithiel National Trust Properties Prindl Pottery Duchy of Cornwall Nursery