A once busy but now quiet village on the Rame Peninsula
Millbrook Parish Council
The village is situated on the Rame Peninsula four miles south of Saltash and two miles south of Torpoint on the B3247. Millbrook is at the head of a tidal creek which is now dammed as a flood prevention measure. The resulting pool and wetlands are a popular birdwatching site. This was once a busy place and there are traces of former industries, including a tide mill, lime-kilns, quarries and brickworks. The population of the village was 2,214 at the 2011 census.
The modern parish church is dedicated to All Saints. The parish was created from part of Maker parish in 1869. There is a ruined chapel of the vanished Insworke Manor House. The seal of the borough of Millbrook was a mill with waterwheel in a stream of water amid trees and hounds, with the legend "Sigillum de Millbrookia".
In 2008 sailor and adventurer Pete Goss MBE built his 37-foot Cornish lugger 'Spirit of Mystery' with the help of local craftsmen in a shed at Innsworke Mill Boat Yard in Millbrook. The boat is a replica of 'Mystery', which made a voyage from Newlyn to Australia and back in 1854-55.
The May Day Black Prince Flower Boat Festival takes place on (May Day bank holiday). During mid-morning, a procession of dancers and singers parade through Millbrook and the neighbouring villages of Kingsand & Cawsand, stopping at chosen houses and inns on the way. They carry with them a boat decorated with all the available spring flowers. In the evening, the boat is launched on the water, with a firework accompaniment. The ritual has been carried out in Millbrook since the 14th century, and is thought to be pagan in origin.
The Honey Room Cafe
The Salty Dog Cafe
The Marine Cafe
The Devon & Cornwall Inn
The Heart in Hand
The Mark of Friendship
Antony House Cawsand & Kingsand Rame Head Saltash Torpoint
Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Portwrinkle