One mile north of Redruth
Tel: (0300) 1234 202
Mine Site and Multi-use Trail
Works to reclaim Wheal Peevor from a 12.5 acres area of derelict mining scarred land commenced in late 2005, with works being undertaken to treat and make safe a total of twelve mine-shafts during the first of three construction contracts completed within this important £810,000 grant funded project.
During 2006 and 2007, and a further two construction contracts later, reclamation of the site gradually continued, transforming what was an area of derelict land into an area now suitable for recreation, amenity and educational use.
The three prominent Grade Two Listed Engine Houses have been consolidated, strengthened where necessary and access viewing platforms have been installed, allowing members of the public for the first time to enter safely into these massive structures. Similar consolidation and strengthening works have been completed upon the remains of two Brunton arsenic Calciners, associated flues and an arsenic chimney, all of which become visible as the visitor enters further into the site.
A network of on site tracks and off site trails have been created, allowing the visitor ready access to the main features of interest within the Wheal Peevor Site, but importantly also allowing Wheal Peevor to be linked with the Coast to Coast Trail, Wheal Rose and Redruth. Bespoke granite and timber way markers mark the off site trail routes, and a series of interpretation panels placed at particular features of interest guide the visitor around the site itself. The site was officially opened in January 2008. The trail is surfaced to be suitable for walking, cycling, horse riding and for wheelchair or mobility scooter users and buggies.
Wheal Peevor is not considered to be an 'ancient' mine by Cornish standards, but was being worked for copper at shallow depth by 1790 as part of its eastern neighbour Great North Downs Mine. The remains of the three prominent engine houses mentioned above however date from the 1870's, at which time the mine was operating at considerable depth, primarily for tin.
By approximately 1887 the mine was no longer economically viable and was abandoned, however attempts were made to re-open it in 1912 and 1938 primarily for the extraction of Wolfram. The former period of re-activity continued until the end of World War One, however the latter venture resulted in no production.
One mile north of Redruth just north of the A30.
Redruth Walking in Cornwall Cycling in Cornwall Horse Riding in Cornwall Mining in Cornwall