Tel: (01736) 786900
Map Ref: SV911093
Peninnis Lighthouse on the southern extremity of St. Mary's, in the Isles of Scilly is a small automatic lighthouse consisting of a metal tower only forty five feet tall, the upper part painted white and the lower part and cupola painted black.
This lighthouse was established in 1911 when it superseded the lighthouse on St. Agnes which had been in operation since 1680. Originally lit by oil, it was converted to run on gas in 1920. Peninnis was re-engineered and converted from acetylene gas to electrically powered operation in 1992.
The Lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Cornish Lighthouses Cornwall's Shipwrecks The Isles of Scilly St. Mary's