The Promenade, Penzance, TR18 4UU
Tel: (01736) 369224
A pool almost in the sea
Described as one of the most unusual and pleasingly designed lidos of the era, the Jubilee Pool was designed in the early 1930's by Captain F Latham, the Borough Engineer. The pool was opened with great celebration in May 1935, the year of King George V's Silver Jubilee.
The Pool was built upon a traditional bathing spot at the Battery Rocks near the harbour at Penzance. Cleverly designed to cope with the full ferocity of the Cornish seas, The pool is triangular in shape yet with gentle curves, making it a most pleasant environment.
The pool was a popular amenity for over 50 years. However, by 1992 the pool had become dilapidated to the extent that its future operation was in doubt. But fortunately a retired local architect, John Clarke, who recognised the pool's importance came to the rescue. He was alarmed when a proposal to build a copper coloured pyramid structure over the pool was suggested. He formed The Jubilee Pool Association with other local supporters, and thanks to his direct input the pool was listed. In the following two years, John and members of the JPA worked voluntarily with Penwith District Council to secure essential grant funding to contribute to the pool's restoration over two phases. In 1994, after essential re-structural works, the pool re-opened to much acclaim, and the jubilant scenes witnessed when the pool first opened in 1935 were repeated some 60 years later.
Since 1994 the Friends kept a watchful eye on the pool, continued to keep it in the public eye and helped ensure it received the vital funding it required to remain open. In recent years Cornwall Council have recognised its importance as a local amenity and national heritage asset. In 2012 Cornwall Council transferred the operation of all their leisure services to a new charitable trust, Carrick Leisure Trust, which became Tempus Leisure Trust and they took over the operation of the pool on behalf of Cornwall Council.
In February 2014, severe storms hit Cornwall and the pool suffered serious structural damage. The Friends immediately began campaigning to ensure repairs were made to the pool. They persuaded local stakeholders to support the repair and restoration of this much loved building, with the overwhelming backing of the wider community. Cornwall Council and local councillors were thankfully also very supportive and as a result an application for government funding via the Coastal Communities programme was prepared by Cornwall Council. By this stage however other serious structural issues were identified, and it became clear that the pool required significant investment if it were to survive. Pending the outcome of the grant application Jubilee Pool remained closed throughout the summer of 2014.
In August 2014, The Coastal Communities Fund granted Cornwall Council £1.95m as a part of a repair and restoration project totalling £2.94m. Match funding was provided by Cornwall Council, Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership's Regional Growth Fund, Tempus Leisure, Penzance Town Council and The Friends of Jubilee Pool. Cormac were awarded the contract to repair and refurbish Jubilee Pool. These works were completed in May 2016, and Jubilee Pool opened its doors to the public having been closed for two seasons.
On the 20th July 2016 The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall finished a three day tour of the west country with a visit to the pool.
On Penzance promenade to the west of the harbour.
Penzance St. Michael's Mount Morrab Gardens National Lighthouse Museum Sir Humphry Davy
The Coastal Footpath Penlee House Art Gallery & Museum