Tucked away tiny fishing village
A tiny untouched fishing village situated on the Roseland Peninsula east of Veryan. Portloe currently harbours two full time working fishing boats both of which fish for crab and lobster in the bay along with a fleet of smaller leisure boats in summer.
The RNLI stationed a lifeboat here in 1870 but it was withdrawn in 1887 without ever having performed a rescue. It was kept at first in a boat house built at the end of the road above the beach. It proved difficult to move the boat across the beach so a new house was built in 1877 nearer the water. The first house was converted into a church; the second was a school for a while but has since become a private dwelling house. The village has also been used as a filming location for several films.
A lot of smuggling took place at Portloe during the 19th century. The item of choice for the smugglers was French brandy, which was brought ashore to Portloe hidden in cellars by fishermen and local farmers. The problem was so far out of hand that in 1824 the country's Customs ordered the building of a watch, boathouse and slip in order to curb the illicit trade.
Portloe is not well developed and most of its buildings are almost the same as they were when they were built and this adds to its charm. One of the better known buildings in Portloe is The Lugger Hotel, which is was built in the 17th century as an inn. The hotel is situated near the centre of the village close to the harbour slipway. The hotel it has been said was the focal point for the local smugglers during the 1890's. A landlord of the inn even was hanged for smuggling and soon after that the inn closed down. Through the years since then the location has been used for a number of things including a boat builders shed. In 1950 the building had some renovations done on it and with six bedrooms it was re-opened. After some more changes it is at present an upmarket hotel.
Just up the hill you will find The Ship Inn, which is a good place for fine food and ale and to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. The Inn is crammed with nautical bric-a-brac, and began life as a fisherman's cottage. The tiny All Saint's church occupies the site of a former lifeboat house. Opposite the church you will see the tiny post office where you will be able to get a tasty cream tea and also procure some snacks and basic necessities.
The village was used as a location for the 1963 film "Crooks in Cloisters", The Lugger Hotel can clearly be seen at the film's end. It was also the location for the BBC comedy series "Wild West", which starred Dawn French and Catherine Tate and the location where "Irish Jam" was filmed, starring Eddie Griffin, and the film "Forever England" which starred John Mills.
To the east of Portloe, along the Coastal Footpath, Caerhays Castle can be reached within 10 minutes. Westward it is a short journey to the villages of Portscatho and St. Mawes.
The Ship Inn
The Lugger Hotel
Caerhays Castle The Roseland Peninsula Portscatho Portholland
The Coastal Footpath Trist House Garden Melinsey Mill