Feock, Near Truro, TR3 6QL
Tel: (01872) 862090
Tranquil varied garden
Trelissick is both a garden and an estate of rare tranquil beauty. Set amidst more than 500 acres of sweeping park and farmland, with glorious panoramic views down Carrick Roads towards Falmouth and the open sea, the large 25-acre garden was given to the National Trust in 1955 by Mrs Ida Copeland who, along with her husband Ronald, was almost entirely responsible for its development. It is considered a plantsman's delight, famed particularly for its large collection of hydrangeas, camellias, rhododendrons and exotic and tender plants which thrive in the mild Cornish climate. Four full-time gardeners are employed to maintain the high standards of the garden.
Around 1825 Thomas Daniell planted woodland along the shores of the estuary and the carriage drives were laid out in the park. Between 1844 and 1913 the estate was owned by the Gilbert family who improved the grounds, and planted ornamental woodlands and many of the tall Holm oaks and conifers in the garden. The garden as seen today was largely created by Mr and Mrs Ronald Copeland after Mrs Copeland inherited Trelissick in 1937.
The Cornish Apple Orchard will contain the definitive collection of Cornish apple varieties and is particularly lovely in the spring when the daffodils, planted around each tree, are flowering.
Girdling the estate are miles of old oak and beech woodland which follow the shores of the river Fal and its hidden creeks, and offer superb walking all the year round.
The King Harry Ferry Road runs through the centre of the garden, and a narrow path and rustic bridge lead over it to the Carcadden area, a newer part of the garden. This area has lawns that feature informal plantings of cedars and cypresses. A more open a parkland atmosphere, with specimens of magnolias, camellias, and the ever present rhododendrons.
The Visitor Reception is located in a building known as the Ladder Walk. Within this building an exhibition details the history and evolution of Trelissick. Alongside the reception area are the original stables where a fine display of tack and saddlery is on show.
A 19th century barn overlooking Trelissick Home Farm has been converted to provide a Spacious restaurant offering a wide range of delicious soups, salads, pies, cakes and deserts, all of which are made on the premises using traditional recipes. The Courtyard Room offers light refreshments all day. Children are welcome and there is a special children's menu provided. Both rooms are available for functions and business seminars.
The shop sells a range of attractive gifts, many of which are exclusive to the Trust, as well as a wide selection of books. Locally produced products, selected on the basis of quality and local character, are also on sale.
Imaginatively converted from a redundant farm building in the home farm courtyard, the gallery is an important showcase for the extraordinary quality and diversity of artists and craftsman at work in Cornwall today. Run in partnership with the Cornwall Crafts Association, the gallery hosts a varied programme of selling exhibitions throughout the season and up to Christmas. Craft demonstrations are held in the winter months.
A regular programme of events is held throughout the year, including guided walks and open-air concerts and theatre. For details, contact the Property Manager.
Close to the west bank of the King Harry Ferry on the B3289.
1st March - 31st October
Falmouth National Trust Properties Truro Cornwall's Garden Centres Cornwall's Ferrys