Madron, Near Penzance, TR20 8RZ
Tel: (01736) 363148
Sheltered garden with exotic trees and shrubs
Set in the far west, with distant views across Mount's Bay to St. Michael's Mount, the uncommonly mild climate at Trengwainton encourages the most tender and exotic shrubs and trees to flourish. Near the entrance an old walled garden is divided into five primary bays containing huge and impressive magnolias as well as tender and exotic shrubs and plants of the greatest interest. Beyond this, on the right, a shrub garden with many camellias under mature hardwood's leads to open lawns studded with ornamental trees and divided by shrub beds. On the left of the drive, beyond a narrow lawn, is a small stream fringed colourfully with astilbes, primulas, arisaemas, lilies and lysichitons. At the top of the garden magnificent rhododendrons and azaleas surround the ponds and lawn. A unique feature is the west-facing raised beds, built in 1820 for the growing of early vegetables.
Trengwainton was sold to Francis Arundell of Menadarva in 1668. The Arundells rebuilt the house in 1692, but subsequently sold the estate to the Praeds of Treventhoe, who let it as a farm. Trengwainton continued as a farm until the early 19th century. In 1814 the estate was bought by Sir Rose Price the son of a Jamaican sugar plantation owner. In 1867 the property was bought by T S Bolitho whose family still live in Trengwainton House. Sir Rose Price planted trees and built the walled gardens, which are said to be based on the dimensions of Noah’s Ark and in 1925 Sir Edward Bolitho and his head gardener Alfred Creek continued the development of the garden. They were opened to the public, for the first time, in 1931. The Victoria Medal of Honour for Horticulture was awarded to Sir Edward in 1961 and in the same year he donated 98 acres to the National Trust.
About one mile west of Penzance, sign-posted from the A30.
March - October
National Trust Properties
Penzance Morrab Gardens Trewidden Garden Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens Tanglewood Wild Garden