Kestle Mill, Near Newquay, TR8 4PG
Tel: (01637) 875404
Ancient Cornish Manor House
Trerice is a hidden gem, a beautiful Elizabethan manor house which belonged to the Arundell family, tucked away from the world in a web of narrow lanes, deep in remote countryside yet only three miles from Newquay. The house was built by Sir John Arundell in 1572 and, having suffered no major changes since then due to a succession of absentee landlords, it is still somehow caught in the spirit of its age. The Dutch-style gabled facade, which gives a peculiarly elegant and foreign air to the place, is possibly the earliest of its kind in the country. The Arundell line died out in 1768 and the house was sold to the Acland family of Killerton in Devon in 1802. In the 1840's Thomas Dyke Acland had the Great Hall and Chamber restored. The Eltons first came to Trerice in 1944. They returned in 1953 as the first tenants of The National Trust when Trerice was in poor condition and needed urgent repairs. Initially the roof and remaining south wing were repaired, then the north wing was rebuilt having fallen down a century earlier. In 1965 the Eltons left Trerice having ensured its future survival.
The Hall and Great Chamber have elaborate plaster ceilings and fireplaces; the Hall, in addition has a magnificent window made up of 576 panes, much of it the original 16th century glass. Trerice is also known for its fine oak and walnut furniture from the 17th and 18th centuries as well as collections of clocks and drinking glasses. There are portraits by the celebrated Cornish painter John Opie, and an unusual set of early wooden skittles. Several rooms contain some very good Oriental and English porcelain. John Elton negotiated a lease with The National Trust that would give his family the opportunity to remain at Trerice for at least two hundred years, so Trerice was acquired by The National Trust in 1953.
Planted so as to provide colour and interest throughout the year, the beds are arranged in colours which complement the old stone walls of house and garden. There is an orchard containing many varieties of Cornish apple trees. The Parade Ground was used as a training ground by the Home Guard in the 1940's. All parts of the garden may be used for picnicking.
Occupying part of Trerice's great barn - one of the largest in Cornwall - this specialist museum traces the development of the lawnmower and contains over 100 machines, the oldest of which dates back to 1893.
The National Trust shop sells Trust souvenirs and gifts as well as a wide range of locally made goods. Plants are on sale between the car park and the house.
The Barn Cafe occupies another part of the great barn behind the house and specialises in home-cooked fare made from fresh ingredients, with a selection of soups, flans, salads, puddings and cakes appearing on the menu.
Families are especially welcome at Trerice. A Toddlers Table in the barn provides plenty of entertainment whilst the grown-ups enjoy their meal in peace; there is a free quiz available for the tour of the house, and a popular orchard trail.
A regular programme of events is held throughout the season and up to Christmas, including Easter egg hunts, concerts and recitals. For details contact the Property Manager.
One wheelchair is available: ask at the front door. The house is accessible to wheelchairs but the garden is more difficult. There are adapted lavatories. An audio-tape tour of the house is available, as is a Braille guide and access leaflet.
One mile south of Quintrell Downs just of the A3058.
1st April - 31st October
National Trust Properties Newquay Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre Lanherne House