St. Columb Major, TR9 6DB
Tel: (01637) 880261
Ancient Cornish Manor House
Trewan Hall is a historic manor in the parish of St. Columb Major. The surviving Jacobean style manor house is located one mile north of the town. The house with its campsite grounds and garden has been privately owned by its current owners since 1960. Although the site is not open to the public, it holds annual open days as part of the National Gardens Scheme. It was the ancestral home of the Vivian family until it was sold in 1920.
Several generations of the Vivian family lived here. Mary Vivian inherited all the estates of Vivian, Coswarth and Miners. She married Sir Richard Vyvyan of Trelowarren and the estate was passed down through the Vyvyan family. In 1920 Major Richard Vyvyan sold Trewan to a Mr Hawkey and this was the end of its connection with the Vyvyan family of nearly three hundred years.
The existing main house dates from 1633, and was built by the Vivian family as a replacement for the former manor house at Trenoweth, a short distance from Trewan. According to English Heritage, the original house with attached garden walls are of 15th century origins, with later alterations. Eighteenth century alterations and restoration of circa 1870 were made by William White.
Set within 36 acres of parkland, fields and broadleaved woodland, with features including flower borders, rose beds, kitchen garden enclosed by restored cob wall and traditional orchard with beehive. The driveway bordered by mature rhododendrons and hydrangeas leads to the Grade II star listed manor house (not open).
Trewan Hall holds a GOLD award by The David Bellamy Conservation Award Scheme.
About two miles north of St. Columb Major.
Only Open 1 Day per Year
Wadebridge Newquay The Japanese Garden
& Bonsai Nursery Castle an Dinas
Porth Reservoir St. Columb Major Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre Lanherne House