Tel: (01736) 786900
Peninnis Lighthouse on the southern extremity of St. Mary's, in the Isles of Scilly is a small automatic lighthouse consisting of a metal tower only forty five feet tall, the upper part painted white and the lower part and cupola painted black.
This lighthouse was established in 1911 when it superseded the lighthouse on St. Agnes which had been in operation since 1680. Originally lit by oil, it was converted to run on gas in 1920. Peninnis was re-engineered and converted from acetylene gas to electrically powered operation in 1992.
In late 2011, the year of its centenary, the lighthouse was updated, and at the same time downgraded (its visible range being reduced from 17 to 9 nautical miles in accordance with the Trinity House review). A single-tier LED lantern, mounted on the exterior rail of the structure, now provides the light; within the lantern the old revolving lens still remains in situ, but it is no longer in use.
The Lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Cornish Lighthouses Cornwall's Shipwrecks The Isles of Scilly St. Mary's