New Road, Newlyn, TR18 5PZ
Tel: (01736) 363715
Cornish contemporary art
Situated on Newlyn Green overlooking Mounts Bay, Newlyn Art Gallery keeps alive, in a vivid contemporary way, the innovative tradition of the late Victorian painters who established the famous 'Newlyn Society of Artists'. The gallery dates from 1894. It was named originally after its benefactor, John Passmore Edwards, the Victorian philanthropist who did much to foster the social and cultural life of Cornwall. The artist Stanhope Alexander Forbes was also one of its founder members. The constrained Victorian exterior of the building encloses a thoroughly modern gallery. The building is dedicated to the 18th century portraitist John Opie, historically Cornwall's most distinguished traditional painter. Its main facade is enhanced by four 'art nouveau' copper relief panels in the style known as repousse, with motifs representing the four elements of earth, air, water and fire. The panels are fine examples of the distinctive Arts and Craft copper work produced in Newlyn from 1890 to the 1950's. Today, Newlyn Art Gallery plays an important role in the South West as one of the leading venues for contemporary art. The programme of exhibitions reflects current British and international art practice and includes regular shows by locally-based artists.
The gallery shop stocks a range of contemporary craft. paintings and prints as well as quality cards and publications.
In 2007 the gallery was re-developed and we opened a second venue, The Exchange in Penzance. With two venues we are able to offer a wide and varied programme across our two sites.
Approaching Newlyn, the gallery is the first building on the sea-side of the coast road from Penzance.
Monday - Saturday 10.00am - 5.00pm
Newlyn Penzance Mousehole Newlyn Society of Artists Julia Mills Gallery