Tehidy Country Park

Tehidy Country Park

Tihydin Parc

Near Camborne, TR14 0HA
Tel: (0300) 1234 202
Email: environmentservice@cornwall.gov.uk
Web: www.cornwall.gov.uk/parks-leisure-and-culture/parks-and-open-spaces/country-parks/tehidy-country-park/


250 acres of beautiful woodland, next to the rugged cliffs of the north coast

Close to Camborne, the Country Park has over nine miles of woodland, lake and riverside paths for you to explore. There are five main access points including North Cliff car park, and South Drive car park. There is a Visitor Centre and Cafe (Summer time 10am - 5pm daily, winter 10am - 4pm, closed Mondays).

The woods were bought by Cornwall County Council in 1983, ensuring that this marvellous mosaic of woodland habitats and scenery will continue as an area of quiet enjoyment for future generations.

Tehidy Country Park

Once part of the great estate of the Basset family which made their fortune from tin mining, Tehidy Country Park provides remnants of their time here.

Tehidy House was built for the Basset family by John Pendarves Basset (1713–1739) to the design of Thomas Edwards of Greenwich in 1734 and completed in about 1740 by his brother Francis Basset (1715-1769). Demolished in 1861 for re-building in neo-classical style by John Francis Basset. He rebuilt the mansion to create one of the finest buildings then in Cornwall with forty bedrooms and a lavish drawing room with a gold ceiling. By 1882 Arthur Basset had inherited the estate but due to diminished income from the mining industry it was becoming increasingly difficult to finance the estate. In 1915 the mansion was vacated and after 700 years of Basset ownership, the estate was sold in 1916. It was destroyed by fire in 1919 but was re-built and used as an isolation hospital for patients with tuberculosis. Over the years most of the wards closed and finally the hospital shut completely in April 1988, and has now been converted into luxury apartments. Several new luxury houses have now been built around the former hospital buildings.

Acres of trees were tended by dozens of gardeners, and the grounds patrolled by gamekeepers, for Tehidy was particularly known for its hunting. There remains the track known as Keepers Walk, through groves of stately pines and firs amidst ancient oak coppices.

Kennels Hill, Oak Wood, the restored Keepers Cottages, disused stables and kennels, and Otter Bridge (where otters were kept in traps) - all evoke the lifestyle of these privileged Victorians and their friends. To these have recently been added the Rose Garden, discovered beneath the undergrowth and planted with varieties of old roses.

With careful management, since purchasing the grounds in 1983, Cornwall County Council has created a Country Park which now offers a beautiful and tranquil environment for all. Part was leased to Tehidy Golf Club and part sold for the 1995 rebuilding and development of new houses around the central core of the original building.

You may like to stroll around the lake or along the paths alongside the stream, or explore leafy glades and the wilder areas of woodland, be alone with the wildlife or join in with the events. With a different kind of beauty every season, Tehidy Country Park is an enchanting place.

To the west of the park is Magor Farm where the remains of a Roman villa were discovered in 1931.


The Visitor Centre and Cafe is located at South Drive serving light snacks and drinks.


Just a short distance from Camborne, Redruth and Portreath, Tehidy Country Park can be found a little way inland from Cornwall's rugged North Cliffs, about two miles north of Camborne.

* Free Car Parks
* Woodland Trails
* Bridleways/Horse Trail
* Mountain Bike Trail
* Sensory trail for visually impaired visitors
* Sensory Garden
* Rose Garden
* Bluebells in the spring
* Tree sculpture
* "Snake Bridge"
* Bird Hide and Bird Club
* Volunteer Ranger Services and Conservation Group
* Events Fields
* Barbecue Site for hire
* Summer and Winter Events Programme
* Outdoor Education Facilities for schools etc.
* School and Youth Camp Site
* Permanent Orienteering Course
* Free car parking is available at South Drive, East Lodge & North Cliffs
* Toilets are near the South Drive Car Park
* Paths Suitable for wheelchair users start at South Drive Car Park
* Braille map and audio tape are available for the sensory trail
* Way-marked walks start from the car parks
* Dogs are welcome as long as they are under control at all times
* Please take your litter home with you
* Leave the wild-flowers for others to enjoy
* Phone for: BBQ booking, orienteering maps, events programme, bike and horse trail maps and bird club membership

Opening Times

All Year

Admission Free

Camborne       Carn Brea       Portreath       Redruth       The Mineral Tramways Trails       Heartlands

Cornwall's Country Parks       Tuckingmill Valley Park       Cornwall's Lakes & Reservoirs

The Coastal Footpath       Cycling in Cornwall       Walks and Walking in Cornwall       Horse Riding in Cornwall