Menheniot

Menheniot

Mahynyet

A quiet picturesque village

Menheniot Parish Council

Map

The village of Menheniot lies in a former mining area 2.5 miles south-east of Liskeard midway between the A390 and the A38 roads and is surrounded by disused shafts and engine houses. Lead seams were discovered in the 1840's and the area became the centre of a mining boom which lasted until the 1870's. During this period the population doubled. Peak production years in the mines for lead and silver were between 1857 and 1872 but by 1875 the mines were closing. A silver salver made from Menheniot silver and presented to Peter Clymo in 1859 is on display at Liskeard & District Museum. The village still has a primary school, a pub, a shop and a post office. The population of the village was 1655 at the 2011 census.

The parish church dating back to the 14th century is dedicated to St. Lalluwy. It has a buttressed tower and a spire. Inside there are a number of interesting monuments to the Trelawny family, including Jonathan Trelawny (d. 1674) and Edward Trelawny, Dean of Exeter (d. 1726).

To the south of the civil parish is Clicker Tor Quarry, a Site of Special Scientific Interest noted for its geological interest, containing one of the best examples of ultramafic rocks in the in South West England.

About two miles to the east lies the bronze age enclosure known as Padderbury Top which may have been a ancient village or settlement.

Menheniot railway station is one mile south of the village, on the Cornish Main Line which is operated by First Great Western.

Notable Residents

Captain John Richards Lapenotiere (1770–1834) a Royal Navy Officer who lived in the parish until his death is buried in the churchyard.

Events

Menheniot Village Cherry Fayre - Mid June

Pubs

The White Hart Hotel is an olde worlde Coaching Inn originally believed to date back to the 17th century.

Liskeard       St. Germans       Adrenalin Quarry       Kartworld