A pleasant small village on the edge of Bodmin Moor
North Hill Parish Council
The parish of North Hill is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Lewannick, on the east by Lezant and Linkinhorne, on the south by Linkinhorne and St. Cleer, and on the west by Altarnun. The parish occupies an attractive hilly remote area with farming country to the east. Settlements include the church town of North Hill, Coad's Green, Bathpool, Congdon's Shop, Middlewood, Illand or Yeiland, and Trebartha. The village of North Hill is located just west of the B3254. The population of the parish was 1,019 at the 2011 census.
Dominating the village is the parish church of St. Torney which dates from around 1289, a large church which has many splendid family monuments, a Norman font and a tower built from regular granite blocks which houses six bells. Nothing is known about this saint, whose Holy Well is situated nearby the river, except that he is also remembered at St. Erney, near St. Germans.
Stone for the construction of Westminster Bridge was quarried from this district. The Trebartha estate, one of four farms mentioned in the Domesday Book, remained in the possession of the Spoure family from 1066 until 1940, when it was sold to the Latham family. Trebartha Hall was built by the Spoures around 1500, destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1720. Trebartha then passed to the Rodds. The hall was then used as an RAMC hospital during the Second World War, but it was eventually demolished by the Lathams in 1948 to build a modern house.
North Hill village hall was built just after the second world war as a 'Victory Hall' and is the venue for activities from art classes to table tennis.
The present day public house, The Racehorse Inn, was originally the village school, which was closed in 1961. In earlier centuries the Ring O'Bells and the Rodd Arms existed in the village.
The beautiful parish of North Hill is on the eastern side of Bodmin Moor with rugged hills of Twelve Men's Moor on the horizon, wooded slopes and farmland of the Lynher Valley. Cascading streams tumble from the uplands - the Withey Brook leaves the moor here, falling in cascades through Castick Woods to join the River Lynher at Trebartha.
Nearby is Trewortha Farm, a children's outdoor education venue which incorporates a reconstruction of a Bronze Age settlement as well as a medieval village of the same name.
The Racehorse Inn
Bodmin Moor Altarnun Minions The Copper Trail