St. Tudy Parish Council
The village of St. Tudy is situated in the River Camel valley approximately five miles north-east of Wadebridge in north Cornwall. The village is mentioned as having a cattle fair in Owen's book of fairs 1788. The population of the village was 604 at the 2011 census.
There was formerly a manor house at Tinten, known as the birth place of William Bligh, and the chapel may still be recognised. It has been re-used as a barn and has a 15th-century window. Other small former manor houses in the parish are Hengar, which was destroyed by a fire in 1904 (in 1906 it was re-built in Elizabethan style); Lamellen has a garden with some very large rhododendrons and cryptomerias. Between 1941 and 1962 the garden became very overgrown but soon after a programme of reclamation began. Wetherham is another manor house in the area.
Another notable garden is the garden of Tremeer which is full of rhododendrons and camellias. The paths through the rhododendrons lead to a pond at the far end of the garden.
The parish church is dedicated to St. Tudius and was restored in 1873. There was a Norman church here but the present structure is of the Perpendicular period. There are two aisles, the arcades of which are identical. The tower has three stages, is 64 feet high, and is topped with battlements and pinnacles; there are six bells. The bell-ringers of the village are celebrated in the song 'The Ringers of Egloshayle'.
Trevenning Cross is at a road junction about one and a half miles north-east of the churchtown. It was found in the hedge in 1896 close to its present position by J. R. Collins of Bodmin.
A soldier returning to St. Tudy from World War One is reported to have planted a conker collected from Flanders near the church.
William Bligh (1764-1817) from Tinten Manor. Famous for Mutiny on the Bounty fame.
Eddie George (1938-2009) Former governor of the Bank of England.
Oscar Kempthorne (1919-2000) statistician and geneticist at Iowa State University.
Richard Lower (1631-1681) from Tremeer. Becomes an early experimenter in blood transfusion.
Sir William Lower (1610-1662) from Tremeer. He becomes a noted playwright of his day.
Sir William Lower, (1570-1615) from Tremeer. He was an astronomer from the early telescopic period.
Humphrey Nicholls (1577-1643) MP for Bodmin; and Vice Admiral Sir Louis Le Bailly who led a campaign for the local pub to be renamed after William Bligh.
Major-General Eric Harrison (1893-1987) served in both world wars; he was a rugby player, Olympic athlete, and later a painter; in retirement he lived at Tremeer.
Cafes in St. Tudy
Pubs in St. Tudy
Blisland Bodmin Camelford Delabole Port Isaac Wadebridge
St. Breward St. Kew St. Mabyn St. Teath